10 Dental Facts You Probably Don’t Know!
Our teeth are amazing! Without them we wouldn’t be able to speak, eat, sing, or smile properly. In honor of our pearly whites, Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry is sharing some interesting dental facts you may not already know!
- If you floss daily, by the end of the year the total length of floss used would equal the perimeter of a baseball diamond!
- Because birds don’t have teeth, many swallow stones to help aid in breaking up hard foods.
- On average, women smile 62 times a day and while men only smile eight times a day. Come on guys, step it up!
- The average American spends a total of 38.5 days brushing their teeth in their lifetime.
- 40 percent of young people aged six to 19 have had cavities in their life. That may seem like a lot but that’s down from 50 percent just a decade ago!
- During the Middle Ages people thought a dog’s tooth boiled in wine was an excellent mouth rinse to prevent tooth decay.
- The Egyptian plover, also called the crocodile bird, is known for flying into a crocodile’s mouth & cleaning its teeth.
- Prior to the 1850s, ‘toothpaste’ was usually powder that contained both soap and chalk.
- An obscure VT law states that it is illegal for women to wear false teeth without the written permission of her husband!
- Different animals have different amounts of teeth; armadillos have 104, pigs have 44, and humans have 32.
Here’s a bonus fact: the narwhal’s tusk Is actually a tooth! Well, there you have it. A handful of fun facts to dazzle your family and friends at your next cocktail party. Kidding aside, remember to take care of your teeth. They do so much for you!
Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry is here to help! Our newly renovated office in Brookline, MA Greater Boston, offers full array of services ranging from general dentistry and laser dentistry to dental implants and full smile makeovers. To schedule an appointment, please call 617-277-4100. For more information, please visit Smileboston online.
Comments are closed.