Love Pumpkin? Your Smile Does Too!
‘TIS THE SEASON FOR everything pumpkin. As the poster child of fall, pumpkin doesn’t just star in our autumn decorations, it shows up on menus too. At Smileboston Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry we think that’s a good thing as pumpkin is great for your oral and overall health!
Pumpkin: Fall’s Superfood
Not only is pumpkin delicious, it also has a bounty of health benefits. Pumpkins are high in fiber and are a great source of beta-carotene, which are both important for our health in various ways. Pumpkin is full of potassium which can help lower blood pressure. But the reason dentists love pumpkin is that it’s great for your teeth!
Pumpkins benefit your oral health because they are:
- A great source of zinc. Zinc is considered an anti-plaque agent and is often added to toothpaste to prevent buildup. It also strengthens teeth and bones and boosts gum health.
- Rich in vitamins. Vitamin A found in pumpkin aids in the flow of saliva, keeping your teeth clean and protecting them from decay. Pumpkin’s vitamin C contributes to a healthy immune system, helping you to fight off oral infections.
- High in magnesium. In tandem with calcium, magnesium strengthens tooth enamel and prevents decay. Without magnesium, our enamel would be much weaker and more susceptible to cavity-causing bacteria.
Not All Pumpkin Treats Are Good For You
Now before you go running off to Starbucks for that pumpkin spice latte or whip up a batch of pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, not all pumpkin laced treats are healthy. In fact, a lot of the most popular pumpkin snacks are loaded with sugar. When it comes to pumpkin pie, bread and cakes, it’s best to enjoy them in moderation.
Here are some healthier ways to reap the health benefits of pumpkin this fall:
- Baked pumpkin seeds–a guilt-free, vitamin-filled snack
- Pumpkin smoothie–perfect for breakfast or as a dessert substitute
- Pumpkin soup–a great way to warm up in the colder autumn weather
- Roasted pumpkin–make it the main course, use it as a side dish, or throw it in a salad
Enjoy The Fall Season
Nothing screams autumn more than pumpkin. And if you’re looking to fall into a better oral health care routine, look no further than Smileboston Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry. Smileboston is a full service cosmetic dentistry practice that can meet all of your oral health needs. With prosthodontist Steven D. Spitz, DMD at the helm, Smileboston specializes in the latest dental technologies including dental implants and the Pinhole Surgical Technique to treat gum recession. At Smileboston you can have all your needs met, from general dentistry to full smile makeovers, in one office! Visit Smileboston online to learn more or to schedule your first appointment.
Comments are closed.