Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry
When it comes to your oral health, the best defense is a good offense – brushing, flossing and twice yearly hygiene appointments. But occasionally dental emergencies do happen and knowing what to do can help save a tooth. Above all, don’t panic, your team at Smileboston Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry is here to help. Listed below are the five most common dental emergencies and how to handle them.
1. Toothache – Suffering from a toothache is a pain – pun intended! Many dental conditions manifest themselves in a toothache. If you are experiencing a tooth pain, rinse your mouth with warm water and brush and floss to ensure that there are no food remnants caught between your teeth. Take an over the counter pain reliever and contact your dentist if the pain persists.
2. Broken Tooth – If you break a tooth, rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water, and avoid swallowing any broken pieces. Call your dentist and apply a cold pack to the cheek or lips over the broken tooth. This will help to reduce swelling and relieve pain.
3. Knocked out Tooth – More than five million teeth are knocked out every year! If this happens to you, hold the tooth from the crown and rinse the root with warm water or saline. Avoid scrubbing any tissue fragments on the root. Keep the tooth moist. If possible, insert the tooth back in its socket, put it under your tongue, or place in a glass of milk. Hurry to the dentist!
4. Cracked Tooth – If your tooth is cracked, treatment depends on the location and size of the crack. Rest assured that most types of cracks are tiny and don’t cause trouble. In fact, most minor teeth cracks are diagnosed during a routine dental examination. Treatment of cracked teeth varies from sealing the crack to endodontic treatment. Extraction may be needed for severely cracked teeth.
5. Bitten Tongue – When you bite your tongue or lip; rinse your mouth with warm water and clean the area with a piece of cotton or cloth. If swelling occurs, compress a cold pack over the injured area. If the bleeding will not stop, call your dentist. You may need stitches to control bleeding.
Here are simple precautions to avoid dental accidents and injury:
- Wear a mouthguard when participating in sports. Call Smileboston for more information.
- Avoid chewing ice, popcorn kernels and hard candy, all of which can crack teeth.
- Use scissors, and never your teeth, to cut things.
When you do have a dental emergency, it’s important to visit your dentist or an emergency room as soon as possible. Most dentists reserve time in their daily schedules for emergency patients and many are available by phone 24/7. With two convenient locations in the Boston area, the Smileboston Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry offices in Brookline and on the South Shore, are always available. In addition to dental emergencies, Smileboston provides a wide array of services that range from general dentistry to cosmetic procedures and full smile makeovers. Visit www.Smileboston.com for details.
The year is 1997. The Green Bay Packers beat our New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXI, The English Patient won the Academy Award for Best Picture, Disney’s The Lion King opened on Broadway, the first book in the famed Harry Potter series was published, and on August 15th, Smileboston Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry opened its doors. 20 years later, Smileboston is an industry leader in dental technology, innovation and patient care. We are proud that we have always stayed true to our values and still operate as a small family-run business and are looking forward to serving the community for the next 20 years – at least! Needless to say, this is an exciting milestone for Smileboston and we wanted to share five lighthearted memories from our earliest days.
- Smileboston was originally called New England Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry and was located in Boston’s Kenmore Square neighborhood.
- Spitz’s two youngest daughters spent their first months of life in a green Pack ‘n Play in the business office. Jocelyn is now a freshman at UMass Amherst and Kayla is a high school sophomore.
- The original Smileboston team consisted of only five. Today Smileboston boasts two locations and is 27 strong, and growing.
- Spitz’s red Chrysler LeBaron convertible was set on fire during a Red Sox game – to this day he has no idea why.
- Teresa, Dr. Spitz’s first dental hygienist was recently rehired and now works in Smileboston’s South Shore office.
We plan on sharing fun memories throughout the year, and if you have a favorite Smileboston memory we’d love to hear it. If it has been awhile since you’ve seen us, please call Smileboston Brookline at 617-277-4100 or Smileboston South Shore at 781-826-7577 to schedule your next appointment. To our patients, some who we have known since the very beginning, may 2017 find you happy, healthy and smiling!
With 2016 quickly coming to a close, November is the perfect time to review your remaining dental benefits for the year. Many patients are unaware that they have not used all of their dental benefits and that those benefits do not carry over into the new year. In fact, insurance companies make millions of dollars because patients do not schedule necessary and preventative dental care. Your friends at Smileboston Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry want to remind you not to let your hard earned insurance benefits go to waste!
Be sure to call your dentist if you are unsure about what insurance benefits are available to you. If you do have remaining benefits and have not found the time to schedule your dental treatment, even for a routine cleaning, it is important to make an appointment as soon as possible as schedules can fill up quickly during the holiday season.
Smileboston Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry has been recognized as, “One of the most reputable places in Boston for cosmetic procedures” by Boston Magazine. With offices in Brookline and on Boston’s South Shore, Smileboston offers a full menu of cosmetic dental treatments ranging from general and laser dentistry to complete smile makeovers. Visit Smileboston online for more information.
Nov 3rd, 2016 2:54 pm
Posted in Blog | Comments Off on Your Dental Insurance – Use It Or Lose It
Halloween may primarily be for kids, but let’s face it, few adults stock-up on sweets for trick-or-treaters without dipping their hands in the candy bowl.
Kids with braces and retainers are routinely reminded by their orthodontists to stay away from sticky, chewy, and crunchy treats. However, as candy consumption increases, are parents and grandparents aware of the dangers regarding their own dental implants, fillings, crowns, and veneers?
Before digging into sugary Halloween treats, the experts at Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry suggest adults chew over these tips for maintaining a healthy mouth:
- Avoid sticky situations. Don’t disturb existing dental work by selecting the wrong types of candy. New fillings and crowns are especially subject to damage from chewy, sticky sweets we love like caramel, licorice, and taffy that can yank them right out.
- Choose chocolate. Believe it or not, opting for chocolate can lead to less cavities than stickier candies. The reason? Clingy treats like gummy worms adhere to teeth and gums, while chocolate dissolves more easily and washes off teeth faster than other goodies.
- Eat sweets with meals. Produced when we eat, saliva naturally washes away bacteria that lives inside our mouths. Therefore, it’s wise to save candy for dessert right after lunch or dinner. Plus, eating sweets with meals will ensure you’ll already being brushing soon anyways.
- Floss more frequently. You floss after eating a corn on the cob, so why not after a handful of candy corns? Flossing more around Halloween will prevent extra tartar and plaque build-up by removing unwanted morsels from nooks and crannies.
- Try not to be sour. Infamous for cracking crowns and chipping teeth, hard candies are more likely to cause cavities since they’re meant to be savored longer, giving juices more time to coat the mouth. Sour ones in particular produce far more acidity than chocolate, and feed the bacteria that can weaken a tooth’s outer shell or damage veneers.
- Drink more water. Witches may melt, but on Halloween water is your best friend. Drinking extra water from a glass, bottle, or cauldron will rinse away sugar and gunk that would otherwise remain settled on teeth, gums, and the tongue long after being consumed.
- Watch your diet. Devouring too much of a good thing can lead to health risks beyond weight gain and high blood pressure. While adults are quick to count calories come Halloween, it should be noted that Calcium-poor diets increase chances of developing gum disease and can lead to jaw deterioration. Essentially, healthy diets benefit our entire body—mouths included!
The best way to avoid a ghoulish grin is by maintaining good oral hygiene at home and making regular trips to the dentist. Contact us to schedule your next visit. With offices in Brookline and on Boston’s South Shore, Smileboston offers an array of cosmetic dentistry services, laser dentistry and full smile makeovers.
Are you looking for a bright, white and stain-free smile? The professional team at Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry is here to provide you with helpful tips on how to avoid unwanted tooth staining. For nearly 20 years, our cosmetic dentists have provided patients throughout the Greater Boston area with healthy and attractive smiles. Let us help you achieve the smile you have always wanted!
Our approach to keeping your teeth bright and white is especially important after making an investment in dental work. Here are a few simple tips on how to avoid stained teeth:
- Watch What You Eat & Drink: Do your best to avoid common stain-makers such as coffee, tea, soft drinks, wine, beets, and tomato sauce. Be sure to rinse with water and brush your teeth after enjoying your morning cup of coffee.
- Schedule Professional Cleanings: One of the most surefire ways to maintain a white smile is to have your teeth cleaned professionally. For the best results, schedule teeth cleanings with your dentist at least two times per year.
- Don’t Smoke: Apart from the well-known threats to your health, smoking is one of the worst culprits for tooth stains. If you are a smoker, your doctor can provide assistance on how to kick the habit for good.
If you live in the Boston area and are looking for a natural and healthy smile, look no further than Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry. Visit Smileboston online to learn more about teeth whitening or the cosmetic dentistry of services we provide – from laser dentistry to dental Botox® to complete smile makeovers. Contact one of our two locations, in Brookline and on Boston’s South Shore, with questions or to set up your initial consultation.
With advancements in dental technology, cosmetic dentistry has become an effective way to dramatically improve your smile and overall health. Most cosmetic procedures are simple and pain-free, and when you find the right cosmetic dentist or prosthodontist, you can achieve the smile you have always wanted.
Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry, with convenient locations in Brookline and Pembroke, MA, has been helping patients transform their smiles for nearly 20 years. If you find yourself avoiding the camera or hiding your teeth behind a closed mouth grin, consider these benefits of seeking care from a cosmetic dentist or prosthodontist – a specialty of dentistry focusing on dental prosthetics.
- Tooth Repair: Whether you have a chipped tooth or a tooth that is cracked or discolored, a cosmetic dentist can provide complete and natural restoration. Dental veneers are a quick and long-lasting option that can reshape broken or discolored teeth. Crowns are also used to restore the natural look and function of a missing or broken down tooth.
- Replace Missing Teeth: Like other dental problems, missing teeth can eventually cause serious complications if the tooth is not replaced. These complications include increased difficulty chewing food and risk of periodontal (gum) disease in the teeth adjacent to the missing tooth. Dental implants, crowns, bridges, and dentures are all effective ways to fill in those gaps and restore your smile. Many of these procedures can even be done in a single visit!
- Teeth Whitening: Even if you are committed to an oral hygiene routine, teeth can become dull and discolored over time. Wine, coffee, and other beverages can stain your teeth. Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry offers whitening services that are both quick and effective. Our professional methods are more reliable than any do-it-yourself technique, and we guarantee immediate results.
Based on a foundation of high-quality care, cutting edge technology and patient comfort, Steven D. Spitz, DMD leads the team of dental professionals at Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry. From general dentistry to full smile makeovers, we work together with our patients to build healthy, beautiful and confident smiles. Contact our Brookline office at (617) 277- 4100 or our South Shore location at (781) 826-7577 with questions, or visit our website for more information about why a cosmetic dentist is the best decision for you.
While Botox is best known for its cosmetic purposes, specifically smoothing facial wrinkles, did you know that the formulation was originally intended as a muscle relaxer for medical purposes? In fact, when administered in smaller dosages, it has clinical applications to treat teeth grinding, chronic TMJ and facial pain. For nearly 20 years, Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry has been an industry leader in patient comfort and dental technology. Here, we’ll explain what you need to know about dental Botox and how it can help you.
What Is Dental Botox?
When Botox is injected into muscles, it blocks pain signals from the nerves to the muscles thereby eliminating facial pain and discomfort. The highly trained doctors and clinical team at Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry use dental Botox to manage muscle-generated TMJ disorders, as well as to compliment aesthetic dentistry. It is a minimally invasive alternative to surgically treating a high lip line, for denture patients having difficulty adjusting to new dentures, and in orthodontic cases where it is necessary to retrain facial muscles.
How Can Dental Botox Help You?
Smileboston is among the less than 20% of dentists in North America who use dental Botox for dental and facial pain treatments. Botox, in dental applications, is used to relieve painful conditions triggered by the jaw muscles. As a therapeutic treatment, dental Botox can play an integral role in dental implant surgery and in TMJ treatments. The most common benefit is the reduction in the number of tooth clenching events and their intensity. It also helps reduce damage to teeth, the jaw and gums and helps to lessen discomfort in the teeth and jaw. Other benefits include the elimination of tension headaches and migraines and the disappearance of facial wrinkles.
At Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry, our prosthodontists and cosmetic dentists have received extensive hands-on training in using Botox for dental procedures and know the precise dosage that allows the patient to continue chewing, eating, and speaking properly while providing facial pain relief. For more information about dental Botox or the wide array of services offered at Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry, please visit our website.
When you think of cosmetic dentistry, you probably imagine procedures that directly impact the appearance of your teeth. However, your gums also play an important role in the health and quality of your smile. Since 1997, Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry has been providing high quality dental services to Boston-area residents at our Brookline and South Shore locations. The careful approach of our cosmetic dentists and prosthodontists has made Smileboston an industry leader excelling in patient comfort, dental technology, and innovation. One of the methods Smileboston uses to improve the health of your gums is the Pinhole Surgical Technique – a state of the art gum recession therapy. Dr. Steven D. Spitz is the only Prosthodontic Specialist certified to perform the Pinhole Surgical Technique in the New England area.
The secret to gum rejuvenation lies in the Pinhole Surgical Technique, an advanced procedure that adjusts receded gums to create a more appealing smile. The process involves a cosmetic dentist placing a pinhole above or below the receded area. The gums are then gently adjusted to their pre-recession position and strips are applied to secure the new placement. The pinhole itself only takes a day or two to heal.
While the results speak for themselves, there are other numerous benefits of the Pinhole Surgical Technique. Mainly, this method is much less invasive than traditional therapies. It leaves no scars, requires no stitches, and has a quicker healing time allowing you to smile confidently without dealing with the residual effects of a surgical procedure. Moreover, the restoration of healthy gums ultimately will save you time, money, and future discomfort.
Cosmetic dentistry solutions for gum recession are easier and more effective than ever before! Visit Smileboston online for more information about the Pinhole Surgical Technique and to view our complete menu of services or to schedule an appointment with Dr. Spitz or one of our cosmetic dentists.
Steven D. Spitz, DMD, founder of Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry, knows how important it is to be a good role model for his patients, especially after lapsed hygiene visits resulted in an embarrassing situation a few years back. He has since made it a point to have his teeth cleaned on a regular basis. He is pictured above at Smileboston’s Brookline, MA location.
Have you have ever wondered why your dentist recommends hygiene visits at least every six months? It’s simple. Regular dental visits are important because keeping your teeth and gums healthy keeps your entire body healthy. Although you, as the patient, may not realize it, there are many pieces to your hygiene visit: an oral cancer screening, cleaning your teeth and gums, and a check-up by both your Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) and your dentist.
During the oral cancer screening your cheeks, lips, gums, and tongue are all checked visually and with a VELScope to check what is not visible to the eye alone. Your hygienist will then check your gums for spaces, or pockets, which will show acute or potential periodontal disease and screen your teeth, mouth and gums to assure there are no cavities, plaque build-up, etc. The final step of your hygiene visit is the best part, where your teeth are cleaned removing plaque and tarter between the teeth, and polishing to remove any surface stains and flossing to make sure that the areas between your teeth are clean. Lastly, your dentist will check in with you to note issues your hygienist may notice and to answer any questions you might have about and any signs of oral cancer.
Remember, by seeing your hygienist and dentist on a regular basis and following recommended oral hygiene practices at home, you are more likely to keep your teeth, gums and your entire body healthy.
Smileboston Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry has been making patients smile for almost 20 years and has offices in Brookline and Pembroke, MA. Dr. Spitz leads a practice built on a foundation of high-quality care, cutting-edge technology and patient comfort. Two prosthodontists and an endodontist are part of a five dentist team offering dental services including general dentistry, cosmetic procedures and complete smile makeovers. Visit Smilebston’s website for more information.